(3/13) Lesson 95: Sannakji is not the food for you if you A) don't like chewy foods, B) don't like food that tastes like a loogie, C) don't like seafood, or D) don't like eating your food while it's still alive.
Results of Should I Try Sannakji Poll:
Totally - I dare you! -- 93%
Absolutely not - that's nasty! -- 7%
And I don't disappoint. On March 13th, 2010 around 9:00PM Condon, Roper, Zack, and I participated in an epic battle of vertebrate vs. invertebrate. The sister-in-law of one of the AF guys owns a seafood restaurant not far from base where they have sannakji on the menu. We were part of a big group, but only the four of us were brave enough to attempt the entire octopus.
We were presented with several platters of assorted fish before the grand finale. I'm not entirely sure which characters from The Little Mermaid ended up in my stomach, but they were mighty tasty.
A lone shrimp and some type of fish.
BBQ eel, tentacles, slime, slime-in-a-shell, and shrimp still in their armor.
This little sucker (pun intended) understood his fate and went off into the corner of the basket to weep and ask for forgiveness for all his wrong-doings.
The waitress, before wrapping the octopi around the chopsticks, made sure to inform us that she washed her hands. Because her washing her hands is so important when we're about to toss live animals in our mouths. Yeah, O.K.
Not gonna lie: it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Sure, I was chomping on my octopus for a good 10-15 minutes, but it didn't put up nearly as big of a fight as I thought it would. I am sad to say that the three (guys) that attempted this feat with me did not succeed. And, yes, all octopi were harmed in the making of this film and the eating of this dinner.
힢!
Oh my god, I literally gagged two times as I watched this. I started involuntarily coughing and gagging as I watched. I don't think that's ever happened to me before. There should definitely be a warning on this video for pregnant women!
ReplyDeleteYou're a braver woman than I, Cally. Good for you!
Sam
Legend. You should title this as Cally vs. Squid Title Bout 15 Round Grudge Match: "Decease the Kraken." Yes I'm a genius
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOD! Amazing. Not only did I laugh out loud at your description, but I couldn't believe anyone would do that!!! Is it really that chewy? I will definitely show this at your wedding.
ReplyDeleteYou are totally nuts, depraved, insane, and insensitive. Poor little octopus. What would the Dalai Lama think? I fear for you and your Karma. But, as I remember, you DID get mighty sick. Notice I'm not the least bit sympathetic. G-ma
ReplyDelete