If you're going to be a Korean girl for Halloween, you need to know these two words: "Aigoo" and "omo."
So I decided to go with my friend's idea and be a Korean girl for Halloween.
Now before I continue, I would like to say that I polled a bunch of people to see if anyone would find it offensive. Everyone I asked (yes, I asked Koreans) thought it was a funny idea and told me to go for it.
For my costume, I wore skinny jeans and high heels - what 99% of non-skirt-wearing Korean girls wear. (Fun fact: I couldn't find super high heels because I couldn't find size 9.5/10 shoes anywhere - I got laughed at when I asked for my size in the shoe stores.) I bought a Konglish shirt with a smile face that reads: "Have your a smile!! Funny style" and got a charm for my phone; it's a squishy star that smells like lemons and reads: "Make Happy!" I also got a dark brown wig with bangs.
The Maple Bear girls couldn't decide where to go to celebrate Halloween, so I went to Osan Lounge at Osan Air Base in Songtan. The AF linguists found it necessary to teach me a few words in Korean to make sure I played the part well.
aigoo - A kind of complaint. The only thing I can really compare it to is "Aw, man..."
omo - The Korean version of "oh my gosh!"
aniyo - Means "no." But I practiced saying it in a very whiny tone that I often hear, just to sound more genuine.
Me and Random Korean - a photo that had to be taken.
안녕하세요!

I would have loved to have seen those two guys being the Williams sisters. Those women are...well...they're big and strong and...big and strong.
ReplyDeleteGreat costume. I hope the Korean girls got a kick out of it! Konglish shirts could be the next big fashion trend over here. Very funny.