Part Two of the November - December recap
(11/10) Lesson 73: S-Line
Put simply: S-Line means that you have a curvy body. Charles remarks to Eric that "Miss Cally is S-Line." I asked him what he meant and he just laughed, then mimicked an hourglass figure. Totally stunned at what my 7-year-old just did, I didn't really know whether I should laugh or scold. I figured that if I didn't give it much attention, he would stop doing it. Well, he went to go erase the board and was S-Line dancing as he did it. I had to capture it on camera.
Put simply: S-Line means that you have a curvy body. Charles remarks to Eric that "Miss Cally is S-Line." I asked him what he meant and he just laughed, then mimicked an hourglass figure. Totally stunned at what my 7-year-old just did, I didn't really know whether I should laugh or scold. I figured that if I didn't give it much attention, he would stop doing it. Well, he went to go erase the board and was S-Line dancing as he did it. I had to capture it on camera.
When I got home I looked up "S-Line" on Google. I found a blog called The Grand Narrative: Korean Sociology Through Gender, Advertising and Popular Culture. There's also an example of the S-Line in advertising in this video.
(11/11) Lesson 74: November 11th is Pepero Day.
Pepero is a Korean cookie stick dipped in chocolate or some other sugary substance. November 11th is Pepero Day because the date (11/11) resembles four pepero sticks. It's also a kind of Korean Valentine's Day. Each of my students brought in big boxes of different types of pepero to share with the class. There's quite a variety (little chocolate, strawberry, or cheese-dipped ones to pepero the size of my forearm... literally). I also got a text from one of my Korean friends:
%%%% -- almond
-------- -- chocolate
===== -- strawberry
present for 2day! ^^
(11/19) Lesson 75: There is a man down the street from my apartment who sells chicken out of the back of his truck. And it's delicious.
The lesson is pretty self-explanatory, but let me elaborate anyway. I used to buy chicken at E-Mart in order to make chicken soup, but my lack of access to spices results in a rather bland and expensive chicken soup. I stopped making it.
Today Tonya told me about a man who sells rotisserie chicken out of the back of his truck at only 7,000 won for one chicken and 12,000 for two. And inside each chicken is rice and herbs. Throw it all in a pot with a little soy sauce and some veggies and let it stew for a while and you've got yourself some nice chicken soup from a truck.
Oh my God! That's hilarious. S-Line...and who says that media exposure doesn't have an affect? A little precocious fora 7 year old, I'd say!
ReplyDeleteHow much is 7,000 won?
ReplyDeleteJust read the blog post about women being referred to by letters of the alphabet. Amazing. Curious. Offensive.
ReplyDeleteok, so i nearly fell off my chair laughing from that video! then i showed it to a friend who interned in south korea, and she nearly died too!
ReplyDeletekeep the videos coming, cal!
// jen