Thursday, September 10, 2009

Lesson 16

The walk to school is not nearly as terrible as I thought it was going to be.

Everyone kept telling me that it takes forever to walk to and from school. I believed it because it seems to take forever in a taxi. The intersections in Korea would make your average impatient Jersey driver foam at the mouth; the lights are so long that people just put their cars in park and wait patiently.

The recruiter for the school told me that the teachers would live within walking distance. "Walking distance" typically isn't at least two miles one way. Generally it means about a 5 - 15 minute walk between locations. I have to wake up early enough as it is without budgeting roughly 45 minutes to walk, while also trying to get to school at least 30 minutes early. But despite the schlep and the super early wake-up, I'm going to start doing this next week in the morning.

Today I forgot my iPod at my apartment, so I just listened to the cars zooming by at mach speed dangerously close to the sidewalk. The air is pretty bad walking next to the road; I've been wheezing a little since I got back to my apartment, but I need (and want) the exercise. I have to be hyper aware of landmarks since the street signs don't make sense to me, so I was keeping an eye out for things to commit to memory. There's an ostrich farm among the random rice paddies, a gigantic church that looks like the Mormon temple in my hometown (except twice the size), a restaurant that looks like a pirate ship, and a school (?) that still has a Christmas tree with "Happy New Year" written on it. That's how I judge how far I am/which direction I'm going in until I learn Korean.

No comments:

Post a Comment