If I plan to pursue a career in education, I should stick to teaching ages 15 and up.
Once a month we have "Birthday Party Day" to celebrate the birthday of the students born during that month. Ethan was the only one of my students to have a September birthday and he looked just thrilled to be at the party. We sang songs (The Swimming Pool Song, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, The Little Green Frog, etc.), and played Hot Potato.
Don't look so excited, Ethan.
The Hot Potato Semi-finals
In the afternoon I had to teach double the amount of students I normally have because Tara thinks she has the plague. That was a mess - especially when we had to combine all five the afternoon classes (in one room!) for the afternoon birthday party. Tara's class didn't seem to understand a single word I said in English and my kids just clung to my side or sat around sulking because they felt they were too old to do the Hokey Pokey.
I'm so glad Holly was in charge of the afternoon birthday party. She has all the enthusiasm and energy an elementary school teacher should have. I lack that pizzazz roughly 90% which has led me to the conclusion that I am much better off teaching young adults. I'm good as a tutor in small groups for younger kids, but teaching a whole class of youngsters really is not my thing. When I get into teaching mode I am far more serious than I intend to be. My personality is just better suited for an older class.
On a random side note: Holly came downstairs during our two and a half hour break and said, "So today I learned something. You know how your mom always told you to eat your food because there are starving children in Africa? Well, Kelly was just scolding one of my kids because he wasn't eating his food and she goes, 'There are starving children in Africa! They would be so happy to eat this food.' I guess no matter where you are, the starving children are always in Africa." Then Kristen said, "Well, what would you say if you were in Africa?" A fair question.
Skip to 0:30 to see Miss Holly get attacked by little green frogs.
These are neat pictures. Thanks! You never know...maybe you just need smaller classes, for I think you have an ability to get down with the kids on their level and have fun...which is a great step to teaching/learning. G-ma
ReplyDeleteWell, better to find out you'd rather teach middle school or high school before you start grad school! You definitely wouldn't want to discover that after entering an elementary ed program!
ReplyDelete(You also may find that your personality is perfectly suited to teaching younger children. They really do need to be taken seriously, and sometimes when teachers are too overenthusiastic children feel like they are being patronized. Understandably, they don't like this.) It sounds to me like you're doing great, Cally! :-)
XOXO,
Sam
Singing "The Little Green Frog" aure isn't for everyone, but it's good to figure out what you're comfortable with. Some kids love teachers who aren't all mushy and sweet and do take them seriously (a la Sam's comment). You've got a great sense of humor, which I hope the kids appreciate! I'm enjoying this blog immensely.
ReplyDelete