Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lesson 18

If I ever wanted to buy a fresh, live cuttlefish, I can just walk down the street.

I woke up to rain pounding on the roof of the building just outside my window. Once the rain cleared up around 11:00AM, I heard what sounded to me like lots of people banging pots and pans together. Then someone speaking on a microphone in Korean. Then singing. And the singing didn't stop until about 9:00PM. I didn't venture outside to investigate; I was in my pajamas enjoying a lazy day. Kristen eventually convinced me to get dressed so we could go outside and see what was going on.

We went out to the fish and meat market where we had heard the music coming from. I was expecting to see a stage set up in the park and a whole bunch of people sitting outside listening, but I was wrong. It was one little man in patchy clothes with a bunch of drums, Korean instruments, and a microphone... in front of a restaurant. He had stopped singing for a bit and Kristen and I were getting stared at by restaurant patrons. We pretended we hadn't just come outside to see what all the racket was and we walked along the sidewalk past the fish market.

That's when I discovered the cuttlefish. And the eels. And the massive crabs that would most likely eat you in your sleep.

I always thought cuttlefish were cute (probably because their name sounds like "cuddle fish"). But I don't think I'd ever seen them up close until I saw them in the big tanks at the market. If I ever bought a cuttlefish at the market I'd probably buy a fish tank with a fake castle and seaweed in it and keep it as a pet.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh....cuttlefish are yummy, too! But you have to know how to cook them. Otherwise they taste like rubber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'd keep it as a pet! P.S. the Mitchell clan has grown. I now have two African Dwarf Frogs named mac and Charlie. :-) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete