Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lesson 36

Coloring is an excellent de-stresser.

Yesterday was an exciting day in the office. Not only did I come home from work with a massive headache due to the numerous frustrations I had to deal with, but I also had 15 pages of the outlines of ocean animals. So after writing yesterday's blog, I colored jellyfish, starfish, seahorses, and octopuses until midnight.

This wasn't something I randomly decided to do. We just started a unit about the ocean in my morning and afternoon classes, so I wanted to decorate the room a bit. This morning I got to school an hour early to get stuff done before the construction guys took the offices apart. I laminated and printed things calmly until class started - it's pointless to start the day with your panties in a bunch, and besides I'd done nearly three hours of coloring the night before, so I was calm and collected.

Jeena came downstairs and saw all of the decorations I made and told me about how Miss Anna (a teacher from last year) used to do the same thing. Jeena envied Young (Anna's TP, my math/science TP) because Anna did a lot of her own projects and decorations for the kids and was very creative. "Now I am not jealous because you are like Anna and do nice things for your students. I think it's really wonderful. The kids are lucky you are their teacher and make things instead of just printing them out."

Today was Chuseok Day at Maple Bear, so that meant that I didn't really have to teach today. The kids came to class in their hanbok - 한복 (traditional Korean clothing). I wish they wore those outfits every day - it's simply adorable! It was a nice break in the middle of a frustrating week to just eat rice cakes, learn how to bow and play Yut (the only thing I can compare it to is a traditional Korean boardgame).

Julia and David don't allow us to accept non-food gifts from parents although in Korea it's pretty much the standard for parents to give their child's teacher a gift. So instead of a present, we got lots of little bags of food. In Kristen's case, she got about 15 Korean pears from one student's mother. If you've never seen one, they're bigger than a softball and weigh as much as a cast-iron skillet. And they're delicious.

Sally's baetssi.

Sally, the little fashion model.

John, modeling the boys' hanbok.

Playing Yut with Kelsey and Tara's classes.

Jeena teaching the afternoon girls how to bow.

Jeena and me with the morning class:
(Ethan, John, Sally, Dorothy, and Belle)

Jeena and me with the afternoon class:
(Tobey, Rachel, Yi-Young, Zenia, Julie, Eric, and Jasmine.)

7 comments:

  1. Those outfits are gorgeous!! If the girls learn how to bow, what do the boys learn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to bow. But the boys were terrible at it, so the photo didn't look as nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you look closely in the background of the girls bowing picture, you can see what looks like a very distressed boy n the upper left hand corner yelling something and clutching his side as if he's just been shot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha Thomas I totally didn't notice that at first. That picture needs a funny caption.
    I love the oufits! And Cally I totally agree about coloring. When I was at camp one summer my friend sent a care package of coloring books and Crayolas, and I was entertained for those three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thomas: Very observant... Eric and Tobey were pretending to be Korean samurai and when I told him to sit down, he silently, yet dramatically, died.

    Sarah: I'm so glad someone else shares my love for coloring! It never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cally, I always knew that you'd turn your artistic talents to good use.

    These are amazing photos. How on earth do you do it? Everyone looks supremely happy, even the little samurais. What could be more fun than dying heroically?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a delayed comment because I've been looking through at older posts and such that i didn't comment on- but I totally agree about coloring too- i thought i was just weird/ my roommate made fun of me on that haha but it really does calm the nerves! and its fun...

    i love those pictures!!!- the first one esp. with the baetssi- really cool. :D

    ReplyDelete