Maybe people wear those face masks to protect themselves from the air quality rather than the germs.
The cool morning temperature is perfect for walking to school. After 40 minutes of walking at a very brisk pace, you're not sweating like crazy and you're not too cold either. This morning I began my walk sans iPod music, but it's no fun listening to honking horns, screeching wheels/brakes, and loud motors the entire way. So I popped in the headphones and turned on my Bollywood mix to keep a good walking pace and drown out the music of the avenue.
I think my walk was the only enjoyable part of the day. It let me zone out in the morning and wake myself up, and let me wind down and blow off some steam on my way home. I actually walked nearly an hour and a half from work to my apartment because I took a detour to buy a birthday present for Jeena (she turns 32-ish tomorrow).
I plan to keep up this routine until it gets dark before 6:30PM, gets too cold, or gives me lung cancer (whichever comes first). I've been wheezing more every day than I ever have before and it's definitely not exercise related. My "office" is also in the basement (dungeon) and it's damp, moldy, smelly, and dusty: a perfect atmosphere for the asthmatic. Julia says we're moving up to the 5th floor by December. We better or else I might die.
On my way back home tonight, I also discovered that sunsets don't exist in Suwon: there's too much smog to even see the sun clearly once it reaches a certain point on the horizon.
Who wants to send an inhaler and face masks in a care package for me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I will! I'll call Dr. Poon (or maybe cousin Frank) and see if I can get the inhalers (you're serious, right?). Aren't flu masks a dime a dozen over there? If not, I'll send those, too. What's a mother for...?
ReplyDeleteHi Cally! I am so enjoying reading your adventures! Indeed, I recognize those skies and that air quality (or lack thereof) from when I spent four months in Chengdu, China. There they have a saying that dogs bark at the sun, because they never see it through the smog!
ReplyDeleteThat's ridiculous! Sounds like Jersey was the proper training grounds for you after all ;). I love your posts, keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete