Thursday, October 1, 2009

Lesson 37

All black men look like Obama, adults know how to make babies, and old people are good at dying.

Today in my science class we were learning about the life cycle and the different stages of life. I was reading to them from one of the science "Easy Reader" books and on the page about babies, Euro raises her hand with a question. "Cally Teacher, is that Obama?" she says, pointing to the page.

I look at the picture: A black man and his daughter are playing outside. Leo pipes up, "Yes, Cally Teacher. That man Obama?" Joshua and Hercules are suddenly paying attention. "Ohh! Obama!" they say in awe, staring at the picture. I tell them that, no, that is not President Obama. My kids didn't believe me and kept telling me that the skin color was the same. I held my arm next to Euro's and I said, "Oh my! Euro you are Miss Cally. Look! Our skin is the same color." They finally got the point.

When we started talking about things we learn at different stages of life (baby, toddler, child, teenager, adult, senior citizen), that's when things got even more interesting. According to my students:

1. The first thing babies learn how to do is "love Mommy."
2. The first things teenagers learn how to do are "solve hard math" and "get married."
3. The first thing you can do when you're an adult is "make babies."
4. The only thing old people can do is die.

Regarding #2: Half the class thought that you get married when you're a teenager. The other half passionately felt that you must wait until you're an adult and launched into a short debate (in English!) about why it is "no good" to get married when you're a teenager. Very opinionated 8-year-olds.

I kept trying to get them to think of other things old people can do besides die. The other things they came up with were: use a cane, get sick, go blind, and die.

So I told them, "My grandma is old. She doesn't use a cane and she isn't blind. She isn't dead either. She swims, plays the violin, and climbs mountains." My students gasped when I told them the last one. "Yes, she climbs mountains all the time. She is very healthy too." They were amazed. I continued, "So old people can do many more things than die. They can be teachers. They have lived for a very long time and they've gone to school and they have experience. When you see your grandparents on Chuseok, I want you to ask them to tell you a story, O.K.? You will learn many good things if you listen to your grandparents."

Oh, the things I learn in my science class.

3 comments:

  1. I love your insights, and can't wait to hear the stories the children bring back from their grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally laughed out loud when I read this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto. I want to hear the stories/lessons that the grandparents have to tell.
    Out of the mouths of babes....kids do say the funniest things.

    ReplyDelete