"Violence" and "violins" sound the same to some ESL students.
Because Tonya's usual classroom has been converted into the food preparation/staff dining room until construction is completed, she teaches her afternoon advanced class in my classroom during my break. Because I don't have an office, I do my work at the computer in my classroom. I have a front row seat to the comedy show that is Miss Tonya's IKP class.
One of Tonya's classroom rules is that there is no violence allowed. This means that no one can make guns or other weapons out of blocks, no imitating a gun, no drawing violent scenes - nothing.
Steve, a child who I swear is a cartoon character come to life, was reenacting some sort of war scene, shooting Ryan with an invisible gun. Ryan was dramatically flailing and collapsing on the floor. Jun Sang was a sniper hiding behind the chairs. Thomas was attempting to revenge his fallen comrade. Alex was standing around awkwardly - perhaps he was the medic.
I was watching this whole scene play out, thoroughly amused by it all. Then Miss Tonya walks in and says, "Boys!" They all freeze except for Steve who keeps shooting, notices he's the only one, then snaps to attention, saluting Miss Tonya. She continues, "You all know my rule. No violence!"
All five boys unfreeze and start playing an invisible symphony and waltzing around the room. I was completely confused and Tonya had to explain that the first time she said "no violence," Steve was 100% convinced she said "no violins." Now they do this every time.
That is hilarious!! I wonder how many other mix ups they make with similar sounding words. Trying to stop little boys playing imaginary war games is like swimming upstream. What a funny scene!
ReplyDelete