Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lesson 63

My Korean name is Kim Min Ju.

Eric is the only student of mine who still has his Korean name written on his school ID card. Occasionally I call his Korean name when I am giving everyone their ID cards at the end of the day. He always squishes his face up into an angry pout, but it's the face he makes when he's just pretending to be angry.

During lunch, Eric will sometimes ask me, "Miss Cally. My Korean name what?" And (after correcting his English) I will always say, "Hyun Seung Tak." And he'll make the face again. Now he's started to ask me what everyone else's Korean name is and the only ones I can remember are Yun Ya Won (Charles) and Goh Ji Min (Dorothy).

Today Charles asked me what my Korean name is and was shocked to find that I didn't have one. Eric thought for a moment and said, "Your Korean name: Kim Min Ju." Every girl at the table simultaneously went, "Ooh! Very pretty name!" Seeing as how I can't tell one Korean name from the other, I'll trust their judgement on it.

3 comments:

  1. Seems they all have three parts to their names. Is there a reason for that? Do they have meanings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I've missed your blogs. It was nice to read your posts while drinking my morning coffee! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that name. Now, if only I can remember it. I shall practice before you get home.

    Did you see yourself featured in my blog...and did you see the photos from the Northwest and from L.A. last week? Turn about is fair play.

    We'll really miss you tomorrow on Thanksgiving Day, but will undoubtedly mention you in the prayer!

    Love, G-ma

    ReplyDelete