Monday, October 26, 2009

Lesson 62

I now know how to find my way on the subway, all thanks to Holly.

I was contemplating returning a few items to Forever 21 (they don't fit me too well) and asked Holly to explain the subway to me so that I wouldn't get lost whilst returning them tomorrow. Although she has decided to just buy the clothes from me (thus saving me a trip), I now understand how the Seoul Metro works. And now that I understand it, I don't know why it was so confusing to me at first. Just follow the color of the line and if you want to know which direction the train is headed, then look for the name of the next big junction stop (i.e. the stops with the yellow, blue, and red circle).

This is the map I'm used to looking at (except it's in Korean as well), but then this is the one that better shows the distance between each stop and the location/direction of each stop as well. My station is Seryu (closest to my aparment) on the 1 Line. Here's some homework for you: see if you can figure out how to get to Myeongdong! It's actually quite simple.

The really helpful thing about the Seoul Metro is that the loudspeaker always clearly announces which train comes next. In addition, the trains always have the name of their destination written on the little scrolling bar on the side of the train (and unlike NJ Transit, these train have the name accurately displayed and I have yet to see any malfunctions). When will NY/NJ ever learn?

3 comments:

  1. I got it! You take take the #1 line from Seryu, then change to the #4 line at Geumjeong, and go all the way to Myeongdong. Do I get a star from the teacher?! My, that's a huge subway system - but how convenient. I'm impressed with how extensive it is. How far are you exactly from Seoul?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why it was so confusing either. The NY subway is more difficult by far. Must be the bad air disorienting you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Mom, you win! Your prize is a virtual golden star. There are several different ways of getting there, but that's how I did it. Seryu Station is about an hour and a half from Seoul, depending where I'm headed to.

    ReplyDelete