Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Lesson 56

If you drink with your arm linked through that of another person, that means that you are lovers.

Eric and Charles are best buddies. They play soccer together when they're not at school, they always sit together and talk together, make mischief together (they're partners in crime), and sometimes they will just lie down on the floor after lunchtime and gaze at the ceiling together.

The next logical step is what occurred during lunch today. When we started lunch, Eric and Charles clinked their cups together, said the Korean word for "cheers" (which I can't remember), linked their arms and drank. Jeena laughed so hard she nearly spit out her rice. Sally remarked, "Ooh! They married!" John began cackling uncontrollably. I looked around with a confused expression and asked Jeena what was so funny.

When Jeena finally stopped laughing, she explained to me that only lovers, boyfriend/girlfriend, or married people will drink (alcohol) this way. I know that I've seen people in the States do it, but I couldn't remember if there is a significance in Western culture.

Belle asked Charles and Eric if they will get married and Charles responded by holding Eric's hand, looking deep into his eyes and giving him a big kiss on the cheek. Eric toppled out of his chair and Charles doubled over laughing. Maybe they can move to Massachusetts.

Note: Charles used to have a "girlfriend" in the afternoon class (where he originally started out). This girl was Rachel. The students used to call them Racharles (Ray Charles). Now tell me that is not clever.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at this one! How did those kids come up with Racharles? Hilarious! Those kids have quite the sense of humor. I'm so glad you're recording all of these scenarios.

    ReplyDelete