Friday, October 23, 2009

Lesson 59

The Korean Ear Nose Throat doctor next door is terrifying.

Since I'm not getting any better, Jeena took me next door to the ENT doctor during my midday break. I was told that I could not be seen for at least another hour, so I returned at 3:00 with Julia (Tara covered my class). Unfortunately the secretary called my name only five minutes prior, so I had to go back to hanging out in the waiting room.

Korea has a universal health care system, but I'm not covered yet because Julia and David somehow forgot to register me. Julia apologized for this and told me that the visit will be a little expensive. I ask her how much: 11,000 won. That's about $9. My copay in New Jersey was double that, so I just laugh and tell her that I would still like to see the doctor.

There were at least 30 people in the waiting room at the Korean ENT. I was told that I'd be seen in 40 minutes - that's only about a minute and a half with each patient. I didn't believe the secretary, but hoped she was right.

Forty minutes later they called my name and took me into a smaller room where four other people were sitting in chairs waiting. The "office" had no curtain or sectioned-off area to ensure one's privacy, so the four people who were waiting had a front-row seat to anyone's doctor's visit.

The doctor motioned for me to sit in the patient's chair shortly after walking into the room. There was no sanitation process after the previous patient left and the doctor plunked me down in the chair and turned to Julia, who translated my symptoms. I tell her in about 30 seconds what my issue is and the whole time the doctor is poking me and prodding me in the face and neck.

Imagine you're at your doctor's office in the States. He or she talks to you in a very kind voice, tells you exactly what they're doing, maybe tells you "this will only hurt a little" and slowly, gently does whatever is necessary. Now take that situation and imagine it with completely opposite adjectives. In short: the Korean ENT had the bedside manner of a wolverine. After shoving various metal instruments in my nose and throat with no explanation and spraying some sort of medicine into my nasal cavity she points to the door. Julia tells me that we're done.

Now I understand how the doctor can see 30 patients in 40 minutes.

P.S. Guess how much my medicine cost? 15,000 won. Without health care coverage.

5 comments:

  1. That visit sounds only mildly shorter than your average visit to the orthopedist around here. How weird not to have a private consultation. Thank heaven you didn't have to undress. Now that would have been worth a blogpost! How is the Korean health care system generally speaking? Did the meds work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes you wonder how their malpractice system is over there. Doesn;t sound like he was too concerned about making the right/or wrong diagnosis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the funny thing about this ENT experience is that I didn't have an appointment, but I was seen when they told me I'd be seen. Nearly every time I've gone to a doctor in the States the doctor has never been on time - if my appointment's at 3:00, I'm called in to be seen by the nurse at 3:20, then the doctor finally comes in at 3:30 (if I'm lucky). There was no fluff or unnecessary waiting at my ENT experience.

    I don't know anything about their malpractice system, but if I find anything out, I'll be sure to share. I can't really say if the doctor really knew what was going on with me, but she seemed to be on target. I felt good as new the next day after I had started talking my meds.

    The things I did like about this visit were:
    (1) It was cheap, even without insurance.
    (2) Once I was seen, I was in and out and didn't have to wait around forever, unlike most doctor visits I'm used to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the sounds of it the MD also didn't spend lots of money on a fluffy, fancy office with expensive marketing material, like the Summit Medical Group. Even though your experience sounded like assembly line medical care, you felt better the next day. That's good. And she didn't tell you what she thought you had (strep, virus, etc)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. Never found out what I had. At least I got better...

    ReplyDelete