Today Holly, Chris, and I headed to Seoul (specifically to Namdaemun and Myeongdong) to do some clothes shopping and Halloween shopping - Halloween's less than a week away!
Our first stop was Myeongdong, a very popular shopping district with a lot of Western stores (Apple, American Apparel, Forever 21) and street vendors selling really bad Konglish hats.
I had been advised to check out Forever 21 for clothing since it apparently is better than in the States, despite the fact that everything is made for those with a Korean frame (this is true). We also found lots of cool little hole-in-the-wall shops with awesome (yet expensive) hats and scarves, jewelry, and random knickknacks. I kept an eye out for souvenirs - I'll have to return another day when I have more time.
Our next stop was Namdaemun, one of Seoul's oldest markets and only a ten-minute walk from Myeongdong. Namdaemun is a crowded shopping area which is blocked off to traffic and is mostly frequented by Koreans. The stuff you can get there is kind of cheap and I didn't find it to be anything special. It's as if you're walking along Canal St. in NYC looking at the cheap souvenir shops. We only went there because Shannon had told us about three Halloween stores she found where we could get costumes and decorations.
When we finally found the stores, my heart sank. From what I'd heard, the stores had a bunch of really great things to buy for Halloween, but there were a few mediocre decorations and a handful of mediocre costumes. I bought a few decorations and left with nothing else.
I went to Seoul in search of a costume and left with paper Jack-O-Lanterns and clothing from Forever 21. But at least I know where to go if I need any Konglish attire.
No comments:
Post a Comment