Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lesson 53

There is one thing I already love about fall/winter in Korea: I don't have to see those massive, disgusting spiders on my way to work.

I was too chicken to take a photo of these suckers (for fear they might eat me alive), so instead I Googled them and found a great photo for my readers. Their bodies are about the size of my thumb and they spin huge webs that I fear I might walk into one day. And if I ever see one crawling on me, I'll most likely just drop dead.

There are two spiders I see every time I'd walk to work: one hanging between two trees on the corner right before the rice fields, and another chilling between two sunflowers - right at eye level. I forced myself to look at these things every time I walked by, hoping to overcome my fear. But no, I'm just more terrified of them now that I've gotten a closer look. Thank God it's getting colder - yesterday was my first spider-less walk to and from work.

One time I was coming back late from work. When it gets dark outside, the big, circular bridge over the four-lane, four-way intersection is lit up in white lights making it look like a giant halo. I always thought it looked very elegant, but on this walk I noticed something I'd never noticed before: the bridge is littered with spider webs. The spiders' fat bodies and long spindly legs stood out even more against the white lights. I remember feeling completely nauseated and thinking I might actually hurl. And to think I used to walk close to the railing. NEVER AGAIN.

If you hate spiders, I highly suggest you scroll no further. If you know what these spiders are called, please share with the class, but don't bring one in for Show and Tell.

Photo taken from here.

3 comments:

  1. How colorful and revolting! I don't like spiders either. Do you think spiders like that would ever survive in a major American city without being squashed out of existence? It's amazing that people (the likes of which dye their dogs and remove their vocal chords) don't destroy them out of fear. Now, how big are the insects that these spiders feed on?
    Haha! Now that you've written about big, ugly spiders, surely you can eat a live octopus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do the spiders go in the Fall and Winter? Maybe they find warmer places like apartments and houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good question, anonymous. And I don't know the answer. They better not end up in my apartment though.

    ReplyDelete