Friday, October 9, 2009

Lesson 45

My kids appreciate me far more than I thought they did.

Repeatedly I've been worried that my kids don't enjoy my lessons or just don't like me in general. (Someone please tell me that this is something most teachers go through.) I've been a little more harsh on them recently, but with good reason. I'm not the Trunchbull, but if they're acting out I need to address the situation.

But today I learned that I really don't need to worry so much. When I went downstairs to print out a few coloring pages, a group of little 5-year-olds from Holly's class saw me and waved frantically shouting, "Hi, Miss Cally!" I've seen them once for 30 minutes on International Day, but haven't interacted with them since. I waved back at my miniature fan club and said good morning, amazed that they remembered my name, and puzzled by their enthusiasm.

Charles followed me around all day, asking if he can help me with certain tasks, bringing me snacks, and clinging to my leg so that I have to drag him across the floor as I walk. He also sat next to me during lunch again and we experimented mixing the different foods together.

During snack time Jeena translated a note from Sally's mom. It was a note thanking me for doing a great job because Sally always looks forward to coming to class. Sally will joke with me and tell me "you are bad teacher" because I don't let her play "Round Game" (where she and several other students spin in a circle as fast as they can until they fall over), but her mom says that when Sally comes home, she talks about the fun things she did in class and tells her mom how much she loves me. She even gave me a big hug at the end of class today.

On my way back from the post office I saw a little arm sticking out of the Maple Bear van waving at me and a muffled voice was shouting, "Miss Cally!" I couldn't tell who it was, so I waited until the students got out of the van and I saw Julie run out, still waving at me and shouting, "Hello, Miss Cally!!" She is always very happy to see me and is the only student that stops to say good-bye to me after I walk them to the Maple Bear vans after class.

Earlier this week Jeena told me that Eric might be leaving Maple Bear because he constantly tells his mother that he's bored in class. He excels at math, speaks better English than most of the other students, and is a very fast learner. It is often difficult to incorporate his advanced level into the lessons and projects. But I just got an email from Jeena an hour ago telling me that Eric will not be leaving Maple Bear. His mom wanted to send him somewhere else, but he told his mom that he likes me and doesn't want a new teacher. Eric will switch to the morning class because they're slightly more advanced. I'm so glad that he's staying!

I think the universe knew I was fretting about whether or not my kids like me. It's nice to have that cosmic reassurance from time to time.

4 comments:

  1. Of course they like you!!
    But it is nice to get some validation now and then after all your hard work. Good for you!

    XOXO,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heart's in the right place and the kids know it. You're doing such a wonderful job and it's nice to be acknowledged. What's cool is that some of those kids will be talking about you when they're much older - "I remember this teacher I had...."
    Go Cally! I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cally, I'm very happy for you and your success with the kids. They should be proud that their brains are being shaped and exercised by a talented person/blonde. :)

    asians love ya...haha. <3
    -giies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cally, I am so proud of you. Of course they like you, and will love learning because of you.

    ReplyDelete