Saturday, October 24, 2009

Lesson 60

While Skype is an incredibly useful way to keep in touch with people, sometimes it really sucks.

I went to the Ecole d'Humanite in Switzerland for my junior year of high school in 2003-2004. The only contact I had with the outside world was through snail mail and only a handful of my friends and family members actually contacted me this way. Every once in a while I would get a phone call on the weekend, but there were eleven other people in my house who were also hoping to get a call on the same phone. And I can count on maybe one hand how many times I had a chance to use the internet. Now I'm in South Korea with constant access to email, IM, my blog, Facebook, Jajah, and Skype.

Did I miss people more when I didn't have the luxury of the internet to stay in touch? No. I miss people more when I can see them almost every day on Skype - it's just a constant reminder of how far away I am.

I hate Skype right now.

3 comments:

  1. well, I was thinking about asking you when we could skype! perhaps another time. missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an insightful posting. There's something about being able to be in constant 24/7 communication with people that somehow changes the experience of being away. Like being torn between your present experience and what's going on at home. You hit on a good point, Cally. Excuse me while I go write you a letter...

    ReplyDelete