Friday, October 16, 2009

Lesson 52

People eat live baby octopi in Korea.

After a long week of writing progress reports, the teachers and TPs all met up at Oasis (the awesome galbi restaurant around the corner) for a celebratory dinner. Jeena was pouring soju shots for everyone and we were in a great mood eating galbi and samgyeopsal (thick pork belly sans seasoning). We were there for a good two and a half hours too.

On our way out I was chatting with Young while the other teachers tried to decide which bar to go to. We were standing next to one of the big tanks in front of a fish store when I noticed a bunch of little octopi squirming around in it. "Woah... never noticed those before," I tell Young.

"Yeah," she replies nonchalantly. "We eat those. Alive."

I did a double-take. "You do what now?" Yep, they eat them alive. It's called sannakji - sometimes served with just the tentacles chopped off on your plate with a light sesame sauce, or eaten whole. I Googled this the second I got back to the apartment and watched a short National Geographic video about it. Check it out.

Man, PETA would have a heyday in Korea. Dyeing their dogs, removing their pet dogs' vocal chords, eating things alive... I'm sure I'll discover a few more things to add to the list.

Dare me to eat sannakji? Vote in the poll to the right! If enough people vote 'yes,' then I'll do it and be sure to tape the event.

1 comment:

  1. now, I could never eat them, but Cally you are braver than me!

    ReplyDelete