Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lesson 49

My kids know the word "sexy."

It was Charles and Belle's turn for Show and Tell today. Charles brought in his cow piggy bank. I asked him what he would do with the money when the bank is full and he told me, straight-faced, that he will use all of the money to buy a new piggy bank. Then he cackled with delight because he knew he was just being silly. When he saw me laughing, he shook his head and waved his hand. "No, no, no," he said with a serious face. "I will buy... backpack." I tell him that that is a good purchase. Then he cracks up again and goes, "Backpack?! Hahahahaa!" I can't get a serious answer out of him ever, but I love it.

Charles and his cow.

Belle brought her big sticker book, told us why she brought it, when it was given to her, and what her favorite page is. Then everyone took turns looking at it. The book is filled with very girly cartoony pictures and has separate pages for the stickers with numbers so that you know where to put each sticker. The girls spent ages looking through it, giggling about the clothes, "aww"-ing at the cute animals, and showing me which dress they would wear if they could be a princess. Eric merely looked at the cover and pushed it over to John who only looked at three pages and gave it to Thomas, who simply passed it to Charles.

Charles imitated the girls, oogling the fancy dresses and cute animals, giggling like Dorothy the whole time. Then he reached the page with a beach scene. One of the cartoons girls was wearing a bikini. He shows Thomas and goes, "Oh! Very sexy." And he kisses his hand and presses it to the page. The girls agreed, "Yes, very sexy!" Jeena laughed. My jaw dropped. "Charles!" was all I could manage. Jeena asked me if something was wrong. I told her what Charles said and she didn't seem to understand the issue. Apparently in Korea "sexy" is understood to mean "you look great in a small amount of clothing" - nothing sexual.

They watch too many Korean music videos.

4 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. At that age most little boys are grossed out by a picture of a girl in a bikini. I agree. Time to turn off the TV! That is hysterical. Do kids watch a ton of TV over there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I had a similar experience with Tenchu and Tsaela in India. They explained that Paris Hilton was their favorite celebrity and that the reason was because she is "Sexy." It didn't occur to me until now that it was a mistranslation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that makes sense. I remember the incident Thomas refers to...and how shocked we all were that Paris Hilton, of all people, would be appealing to these Tibetan Buddhist teenagers. Thomas did some explaining about how Hilton really isn't on the same page as them when it comes to Buddhist values. But maybe they were just saying, "wow, she looks pretty in skimpy clothing."

    ReplyDelete