Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lesson 43

I kind of really definitely need to start learning Korean right about now.

160,000 won later, my camera is finally fixed. I had to find my own way because Kim couldn't take me back to the Canon store. Jeena told me that the 50 or 51 bus would take me to Suwon Station and the store was right near the bus terminal. I had been to the Canon store once before and I figured I'd be able to recognize it. Plus, Kim gave me the address in Korean in case I needed to ask someone.

My day ended at 5:55. I had roughly one hour to get to the store before it closed. The bus arrived at the stop near the school at 6:10 - I had only 50 minutes. Traffic was terrible this evening and we probably hit every single red light in Suwon, so it was 6:55 by the time the bus arrived at Suwon Station.

I stood at the bus terminal for a moment trying to remember which street the store was on. One street was far too busy, so I knew it wasn't there. Another street led to all of the bars and then there was a small street with nothing much going on. I walked down the little street looking for the sign with CANON written on it. Nowhere to be found. I remembered that when I had left the building with Kim, I was almost run over by a car that was rushing out of a parking garage. I saw a parking garage, but didn't see the Canon store.

I wandered around for maybe 20 minutes in the general area of the bus terminal searching. If I had a cell phone I could have called Kim and he could have told me how to get there. If I could speak Korean or understand a few basic things, then the address Kim gave me would have been infinitely more helpful. It conveniently did not occur to me that when you ask a Korean for directions, they're not going to respond to you in English.

When in Korea... learn Korean.

1 comment:

  1. how brave of you to try and find the store. I am sure you will find it next time.

    ReplyDelete